Wedding Day Timeline
Creating a wedding timeline is essential in making sure your big day goes as planned. Breaking down your entire wedding day timeline helps you stay organized and on-track when the day arrives. This is your personal blueprint for a stress-free celebration! The timeline will ensure everyone is in the right place and at the right time. You should share your timeline with your vendors, bridal party and family so they know where to be, and when, so the day can run as smoothly as possible.
The more detailed you can make the timeline, the better! Wedding ceremonies typically last 30 minutes to an hour, While most wedding receptions last 4 to 5 hours. Be sure to ask yourself questions such as will you be getting ready at your ceremony location or somewhere else (like a hotel with a room block reserved for you and your guests)?
- Will your ceremony and reception be held in separate locations?
- Will you be providing transportation for your wedding party members and/or guests?
- Are you planning on having a “first look” and doing photos before the ceremony? Or would you rather wait until cocktail hour to do couple and group portraits?
- How long will your ceremony be? This will require a discussion with your officiant.
- Does your reception venue have a curfew, meaning you’ll have to end the reception at a specific time?
Things to Remember When Creating Your Timeline
- Travel time between wedding ceremony venue and reception venue
- Time vendor arrivals
- AMPLE time for hair and makeup
- Let cocktail hour be ONE HOUR
- Factor in any kids
- Limit the number of toasts
- Discuss overtime with vendors
Create a personal wedding timeline by visiting The Knot
Below is a Sample Wedding Day Timeline